a canadian beauty, travel, and cosplay blog

16.9.16

An Afternoon of Glitz and Glamour | BeautyBOUTIQUE & PHYTO Paris TIFF Suite 2016


2016 TIFF Suite with beautyBOUTIQUE and Phyto Paris


Each year, the air is filled with a bit more glitz and glamour as the Toronto International Film Festival rolls into town. You know what that means - big films, big stars, big hair, red carpets, red lipstick - the works! Last Thursday, Emily and I strolled down the trendy streets of King Street West, past the popular little bars and cafes with slinking queues full of beautiful people. We reached the beautiful Spoke Club, and were led up to a charming little showroom with some of our favourite brands. Various stations were set up for hair and makeup, as well as previews of new collections and holiday releases! I'm so excited to share our experience with you today - keep on reading for the deets...


Lemme just take a second...


...to let my inner interiors fanatic geek out for a sec. The room itself was #goals - exposed brick, wood floors, large windows for optimal selfie lighting (heh heh heh.) The room was filled with a selection of popular brands that can be found in the BeautyBOUTIQUE section of Shoppers Drug Mart, such as St. Tropez, Phyto Paris, Stila, Ceramic Glaze Nail Polish, and more!



Makeup with Stila


First, we were led to the makeup area to play with some Stila goodies. Our two makeup artists (didn't catch their names) were super lovely! I opted for a more glowy, natural look. I was quite nervous to try a glowy look because in my previous attempts, glow quickly turned into shiny... Although, I do have my tried-and-true products for a dewy base, which you can read about here.

This time, I was in more than capable hands!

I had only applied base foundation and touched up my eyebrows that day, so the makeup artist had a basic canvas to work on. She applied the Stila Glow Serum Concealer on my cheeks, under my eyes, and around my nose where I currently have the most redness. It felt super light on the skin, didn't crease, and had incredible lasting power throughout the day! For a natural, dewy highlight, she applied the iconic Kitten eyeshadow on my lids and high points of my face. An inky winged flick was in order, which was drawn on with the ultra-pigmented Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner. She topped my lashes off with a coat of the Stila Huge Extreme Lash mascara, and dabbed a beautiful light mauve shade called Papillon from the Stila Stay All Day MATTE'ificent lipstick collection on my lips.


I felt so cute! This is actually quite close to what I would normally go for, but a bit more dewy.


Emily got a more bronzey, contoured look. You can read her recap on her newly launched blog here! (Be sure to go send her some love!) A glass of prosecco, makeup, and a day out with the bestie - just what I needed.

Next, we wandered over to the hair area (or should I say hairea hahahaha ok I'll stop), to try out some new launches from Phyto Paris!


"You have the hair of 5 people"


Now, I can be a bit of a handful for hairs. When I was getting my hair cut, a hairdresser actually told me that I "have the hair of 5 people!" My tresses are super thick - no more volume please, just give me a smooth and sleek look and I'll be on my way. Using a selection of products from Phyto Paris, the stylist tamed my mane into a preppy high pony. She mainly used the Phyto Botanical Hair Spray, which I really have to check out because my hair tends to go rogue and overpower most "ultra-strength" hairsprays. Bye bye flyaways...


This hairstyle actually reminds me of I Dream Of Jeannie! I love wearing my hair in updos and ponytails. I rarely ever wear my hair down because:

1. There's too much of it to handle, and it will inevitably end up reverting back to a frizzy mess.
2. The back of my neck gets hot as hell and a sweaty neck ain't cute.
3. If I'm wearing a jacket, there's a 75% chance that it'll get caught in the zipper.



There was also a super cute setup for Rihanna's new fragrance duo - her eighth release if I'm not mistaken! Crush is announced as a mysterious, sexy and provocative scent and is described as a floriental - a mix of floral and oriental notes! It's quite sweet and citrusy - very young and fresh... Dare I say, a tad bit sweet for me. I can totally see this as a light everyday scent! The bottle has a lovely weighty feel, very luxe.

Fresh notes of bergamot, juicy mandarin and bright pink pepper create the opening and lead to the floral - fruity heart. Pink rose blends with spicy ylang-ylang, complemented by sweet and sour red berries aroma. The base ends with woody notes of sexy patchouli, creamy musk and cedar.


St. Tropez was also doing full body tans which I was extremely curious about, but too shy to actually try out! I've always wanted to try fake tan, but I'm afraid of messing up the application or having it develop all patchy! Apparently the St. Tropez Gradual Tanning Lotion is super easy to use and can be built up over time. I've also heard great things about the bronzing mousse as one of my fave British bloggers swears by it! I actually received samples of both so maybe I'll test it out and do an update post in the future!


What I Wore...


It was such a lovely warm and sunny day, so we had to snap some OOTD photos. We passed by this little alleyway whilst walking down King Street West!

Denim Dress - Old Navy (similar here) / Shoes - Naturalizer (similar here)







We left with a bag full of goodies featuring some of the items we had previewed. So excited to try some of these products out, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled for an upcoming review and roundup!

If you're planning on dropping by Toronto any time soon, be sure to look out some of the TIFF releases! Also be sure to check out my Toronto Hotspots guide for places to eat and things to do.

Have you attended a TIFF event? Do you have a favourite Stila product? What are your favourite products for glowy and dewy skin?

Thanks for reading!

*This post contains press samples. I was invited to attend this press event, but as always, this post is 100% my honest opinion!



Copyright @ lovely ♡ complex. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign