a canadian beauty, travel, and cosplay blog

3.8.16

July 2016 Makeup Faves - What's In My Makeup Bag


July's Makeup Picks

This month, my makeup choice has been all about the basics - a big focus on the base and eyes, not so much about bronze, contour, or blush. I've been trying out some colour correction to lighten the amount of makeup on my face in the summer months, and I can really say that I'm enjoying it!




Base & Color Correction


I typically don't wear primer because my skin is quite dry, but I've added this extra step in for those sweaty summer days. The Smashbox Hydrating Primer* feels like a gel moisturizer. It sinks in quickly and smooths out makeup application.

I'm a bit late to the color correcting trend. I actually bought this NYX Color Correcting Palette from Shoppers a while ago when it was on sale, as an alternative to the expensive Urban Decay and YSL options because I wasn't quite sold on the trend. My face gets quite flushed and red in the summer, and I read somewhere that when you color correct, you can generally use less base makeup. I've mainly been using the green, yellow, and salmon shades, to brighten and conceal the redness on my face and under my eyes! I've got a post on this coming up soon!

TheFaceShop Ultra Moist CC Cushion (reviewed here) has been my go-to foundation these days - it's light and convenient! Also it' a bit darker than most of my other foundations, which is great because I've tanned a bit. I top it with a bit of contour with my mini Nars Laguna bronzer (reviewed here) - it's such a tiny compact but I've been using it every day since I got it and I haven't made a dent! I very lightly contour the sides of my face and along my nose.



Eye Shadows

There have been two eye shadow palettes I've absolutely been loving this month - both have a lovely mix of warm and cool tones, as well as excellent mattes and the occasional shimmers and metallics. Starting off with Smashbox Photo Matte Eye Palette* - as some of you may already know, I traveled to Los Angeles for Anime Expo (watch my first vlog here, and read about my trip here!). I brought the Photo Matte Eyes palette with me and totally fell in love with it! Such a versatile selection of shadows for the eyes and brows, as well as a lovely base for liner! (I wet the darker colours and applied them with the angled brush that came with the palette. You can read my full review in my last most here!

My other go-to palette was the Tarte Tartelette in Bloom - a palette that I wanted for a loooong time (but couldn't get my hands on because it was sold out!) I received an email saying it had restocked on the Sephora website and snapped it up in an instant. The palette is seriously my dream palette - a beautiful selection of light pinks, browns, and creams, as well as some shimmers, bronze, and greys, and some gorgeous matte deep browns, plums, and blacks. I can honestly see myself using this nonstop, there are so many pretty colour combos! The shadows are a tad powdery but still have really nice colour payoff.


Liner & Mascara

As for the rest of my eyes, the Smashbox Always Sharp Waterproof Kohl liner in Penny Lane has been a dream to smudge along the lash line for the lighter makeup days! It really does not budge, and the shade is a lovely medium brown with the slightest bit of shimmer. As for liner, I picked up the Maybelline Master Precise Liner in black, and it's been a decent liquid eye pen (nothing special... I mean, it's just black liquid liner.) Finally, I've switched back to the Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow Pomade in soft brown, it's always a winner in the hot weather and truly lasts all day.


Lips, kiss kiss


Couldn't choose a favourite between these four colours! First is the Too Faced Melted Lipstick in Melted Chihuahua (what a name, wtf!). It's a lovely brown toned dusty rose, and the texture is so creamy and lovely. Next is the YSL Rouge Volupté in shade 33, which is a lovely glossy pink! I don't like the texture at all (too oily/slick, I like tackier lipsticks and glosses), but it's really nice to dab into the lips for a lovely pink stain. Finally, two of the Covergirl Katy Kat lipsticks, in Coral Cat and Magenta (reviewed here) - I love wearing the coral boldy, and the magenta dabbed in.


What are some products that you've been loving recently? :)
Copyright @ lovely ♡ complex. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign