a canadian beauty, travel, and cosplay blog

22.8.16

Cottage Getaway Week | Photo Diary, Where to Eat in Gravenhurst, & My Fave Summer Makeup!

A week at the cottage in Washago, Muskoka, Canada!

A Week Away...


...In the middle of nowhere aka Canadian cottage countryside aka Muskoka. Well, a bit more out of the way, in a tiny little town called Washago. Matt's family invited me to stay with them for a week at a little cottage they rented from a close friend. This was my second year staying with them, and I was looking forward to a week of relaxing and ~becoming one with nature.~ Unfortunately, things didn't quite go our way. Keep reading to hear what happened, as well as taking a peek at my favourite summer look with my current go-to makeup products!



My current favourite summer makeup products!
My current favourite summer makeup products!

A Natural Summer Makeup Look


It has been crazy hot these past few weeks, so I've been doing the same bronzey makeup look every day! Super low maintenance and really quick to slap on and go. I didn't wear any makeup when I was at the cottage (gotta let me skin breathe once in a while), but on the other days I've been wearing this!

As a base, I've been using a light wash of Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Foundation, which offers light-medium coverage. Then, I set it with the Make Up Forever HD Pressed Powder. For the eyes, I smudge the shade Starfish and Reef from the Tarte Rainforest of the Sea eyeshadow palette across the lids. For the essential cateye, I've been using the KVD Ink Liner in Hemingway. To lengthen my nonexistent lashes, I use the Smashbox Photo Finish Lash Primer* and the Essence Lash Princess Mascara.  I fill in my brows with ABH Brow Wiz in Soft Brown*, and the Evelyn Iona Cosmetics Natural Lip Gloss in the shade Val*, which is a perfect natural nude that isn't streaky or sticky. I'll finish it off with a light contour featuring Nars Laguna bronzer.

It's a quick and effortless look, very natural and soft and great for everyday wear.



A week at the cottage in Washago, Muskoka, Canada!

Cottage Livin'


The cottage is in a little town called Gravenhurst. about four hours away from where I am currently living. It's in the Muskoka area which is primarily filled with little summer cottages, farms, and fishing/boating areas. It was only my second time down in Muskoka, since I'm definitely a city girl and would rather be walking down bustling streets than trekking through the woods. As much as I love the beautiful scenery, there was no wifi/cell service. I know most people go to cottages to disconnect, but it's quite difficult when your income depends on social media and internet connectivity.

Anyway, Matt's entire family was there! The cottage itself had a sun room, living area, kitchen, bathroom, and 3 bedrooms, one of which had two bunk beds. It was pretty comfortable for six people and a lil' baby. The little cottage is built upon a large rock, and overlooks Kahshe Lake.

I found a few beautiful cottages on AirBNB if you're interested in a last minute summer getaway! Or maybe keep and eye out for next year :) Check out the Robbins' Tuktawayin B&B, Sunning Hill, and Lake Muskoka Exec Post & Beam Island. I also found this cute little cottage in Washago, quite close to where we stayed!

A week at the cottage in Washago, Muskoka, Canada!
A week at the cottage in Washago, Muskoka, Canada!
A week at the cottage in Washago, Muskoka, Canada!

There was a paddle boat and two kayaks available at our leisure, so I made sure to get out on the lake a few times! I actually used to do kayaking and canoeing camp every summer during my teens (out on the Port Credit River), so it was nice to get back out on my own little boat.


Where To Eat in Gravenhurst!

On the final day, we decided to venture out into the town for some food. Matt's sister found a great place on yelp called the Creative Plate Eatery. It was about a half hour drive from where the cottage was, in the main city center of Gravenhurst.

I ordered a specialty cocktail, which was a mix of pear and vanilla liqueur. Super tasty! We started off with fresh tabbouleh & chickpea hummus platter. , which disappeared in seconds! Served with warm pita bread & a selection of raw vegetables, pickled turnip & fried falafel. For my main, I picked the Authentic Curry with chicken - "an authentically spicy coconut curry broth made with an assortment of luxurious wild mushrooms, exotic eggplant & sugar snap peas. Served with Jasmine rice & grilled pita on the side." I requested that the curry was made with mild spice, and it tasted delicious! More of a creamy curry rather than the savory Japanese Katsu curry I'm used to.


A week at the cottage in Washago, Muskoka, Canada!
A week at the cottage in Washago, Muskoka, Canada!
A week at the cottage in Washago, Muskoka, Canada!

Back at the cottage - there were some fantastic scenes during the evenings. Unfortunately, it rained quite hard for three of the five days we were there. On the third day, the storm was so bad that we actually lost power! That was a bit of a nightmare because we had no lights (apart from a few candles), no water, and no toilet! The septic system for the house meant we had to make do for about 12 hours until power was restored again. Luckily we had plenty of food and water on standby, as well as my handy Cheero battery pack that everyone wanted to use when their phones started running low.

A week at the cottage in Washago, Muskoka, Canada!
A week at the cottage in Washago, Muskoka, Canada!

The skies looked absolutely beautiful after the storms though... the clouds were lit up with bright shades of orange, yellow and pink, which were then reflected onto the lake below! Absolutely breathtaking.

I had a great time! Apart from the boating and lazing around, I did get a fair amount of organizing and redecorating done in my Animal Crossing New Leaf town...heh heh heh :D

Have you ever been to Muskoka? Or have you ever stayed out at a cottage (with no wifi or cell service?) What's your favourite summer sport activity? 

I would love for you to follow me on Bloglovin', so you never miss a post!


*This post contains press samples, but as always, this post is 100% my honest opinion! 

Copyright @ lovely ♡ complex. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign