a canadian beauty, travel, and cosplay blog

23.12.15

Festive Gingerbread Man Recipe with Icing!


I don't know what it was about this Christmas season, but I've had the urge to bake cookies.
My mother and I stopped off at Richtree for tree. I haven't had gingerbread cookies in ages, and the glass jar with iced gingerbread men immediately caught my attention. I suddenly had the urge to make my own cookies. I found this one on allrecipes (one of my favourite resources for recipes!) It is flavoured with orange rind which tastes lovely, and takes the edge off the spices.

I modified this recipe a bit because I like a bit of a spicier cookie and didn't have dark corn syrup... you can find the original recipe here.

The original recipe says it makes 60 servings - I used a medium size cookie cutter and it made about 30 medium cookies.




Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • ½ cups white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • ½ tablespoons orange zest
  • ½ tablespoons golden corn syrup
  • ½ tablespoon fancy molasses
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoon ground cloves
  • ½ teaspoon salt

Directions:

Cream the butter and the sugar together. Add the egg and mix well. Mix in the orange peel and dark corn syrup. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, ground cloves and salt, mixing until well combined. Chill dough for at least 2 hours, I like to chill overnight.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. On a floured surface, roll dough out to ¼ inch thick. (The dough will be quite wet so really make sure you flour the surface!) Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until cookies are firm and lightly toasted on the edges.




Cookie Icing

Now, part of the fun of making gingerbread cookies is icing them...right? I had a thin icing tip for my first batch, great for intricate snowflake designs and such. Unfortunately, my dad threw it out, so I had to use a thicker tip for my second batch. Wehhhh.

Anyway, here's another cookie icing recipe from allrecipes. You can view the original recipe here, but I found it to be a bit too dry so I had to modify it a bit. If you find it too wet for your liking, just add more icing sugar to balance it out.


Ingredients

  • 1½ cup confectioners' sugar 
  • 3  teaspoons milk 
  • 2 teaspoons golden corn syrup 
  • ¼ teaspoon almond extract 
  • Assorted food coloring 

Directions

In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.

Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, pipe icing, or paint them with a brush. 

I also melted a small bowl of chocolate chips as icing, as well as Christmas coloured sprinkles. Bulk Barn was also selling little edible silver balls which worked really well on the Christmas trees.




I've made this recipe twice now and I absolutely love it! After the essence has been added, the icing smells quite strongly of almond. Don't worry - the scent will fade to a subtle note. The icing itself has a light almond flavor that isn't sickly sweet.

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season. Let me know if you try out this recipe. You can check out the rest of my recipes here.

xox,

Sachie

Youtube | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin

Copyright @ lovely ♡ complex. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign