a canadian beauty, travel, and cosplay blog

15.7.14

Syndra (League of Legends) Creating and Painting Body Armor

Hello lovelies! This is a continuation of my Syndra - League of Legends cosplay progress series. We are now on part two - creating the body armor and priming/painting the armor pieces!

Check out my other Syndra posts: 
(links will be updated when all of the posts have been published)


Body Armor

I've seen a few different interpretations of Syndra's top, and most people seem to make it out of fabric. I chose to do an armored top because 
1. I suck at sewing
2. I've made craft foam armor in the past so I have a bit more experience
3. Armor looks more badass!!


Belted the foam mat to my body and sketched out the basic design! Happy helped out, hahaha.





Cut out the boob hole/ basic shape. Transferred the design to Worbla, using the same fold-over technique as the bracers/pauldrons.


Heated the smooth glue side of the worbla with my heat gun and pressed the foam over top so they attached! Heated the foam/worbla up again and belted it to my body until it cooled so it would form and curve to the shape of my body.

This method took a while, but I don't have a dress form/mannequin or anyone to help me... so this would be the poor loner cosplayer's method haha! ;_;


The boob hole ended up being too big so I added some more craft foam to the middle to make it smaller and covered that up with worbla strips. Added shoulder straps and the main triangle part at the top of the boob opening.


Added the foam designs and raised edges. Instead of just a plain strip, I like to add a really thin long strip along the very edge or alongside. This adds interest and makes the design look more detailed! I often like to add my own interpretation on designs if I think it'll help the armor stand out in photos.


All of the base pieces together! In this photo, I added the raised ring to the bracers. I heated up some of my scrab worbla, rolled it into a sausage and pinched the edge so it was pointy. Then I heated it and applied it to the bottom.

The rolled up worbla pretty much solidified the shape of the bracers though, so the bottom was the exact shape of my wrist (and I've got super tiny wrists). I had to squeeze my hand through in order to get the bracers on, which left quite a few scratch marks :( I told everyone they were from happy because "squeezing hands through cosplay armor" sounds super weird, haha.


Trying everything on for the first time!! It fit well, thank god. I was a bit worried that the pauldrons would be too big or wouldn't attach properly but everything stayed put.


Using the same method as the top, I crafted the back and added the raised designs. Also added the top belted part to the top armor using craft foam and worbla!

This is what it looks like on the inside! The armor connected at the top shoulder parts and the side parts.
The way the armor is attached is by:
1. Opening neck area and fitting it to body
2. Getting friend to belt you in, trapping you in the armor for the rest of the day

Painting Armor Pieces

 The way that you paint a piece of cosplay armor can really affect how it will appear and how well it well it will photograph. I like to use a method that is used by cosplay armor goddess Kamui Cosplay, called "3D painting". Painting highlights and shadows onto a piece helps it pop.


Used white acrylic gesso and mixed in some black so it became gray. Coated the armor and worbla. I used approximately 3 coats until everything was smooth.


 I spraypainted a black base overtop the gesso! I meant to choose gloss or satin finish spraypaint but picked up flat by accident :( But that was fine since it was just a base colour.


Painting process: (Did a lot of the painting last minute so didn't get many pictures)
1. Base color
2. Make a gradient of warm brown fading down into Syndra's signature purple. Did a few layers so that the colours stood out
3. Add shadows to the edges/corners using black/dark brown paint, and highlights to the middle using the base colour + white or silver. Then dabbed a sheer layer of gold paint over top to create a sheen.
4. Add metallics (gold/silver) to the raised parts.
5. Shade small shadows in on the edges, and down the middle of the metallic parts to look more 3D
6. Dry brush mixed dark gold (black + gold + dark brown) paint all over to create a bronzed, worn look.

I didn't have time to do this in time for the convention, but I would have gone over the top of my armor with Modge Podge Gloss (which I bought but didn't use.) I'll have to do this for next time!

The next post will discuss how I made Syndra's helmet and claws!

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them as soon as possible.



Check out my other Syndra posts: 
(links will be updated when all of the posts have been published)

Follow me for my photos/videos!

Keep up to date on future posts- follow on bloglovin!

Follow on Bloglovin
Copyright @ lovely ♡ complex. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign