a canadian beauty, travel, and cosplay blog

6.2.12

COSPLAY MAKEUP TOOLS

So I recently got an email from a reader asking me about the makeup that I use for cosplay! I tend to wear more makeup when I cosplay as to conceal all of my blemishes or minor flaws. Since I like to have nice pictures taken when I am cosplaying, it helps to reduce the amount of editing I have to do. (っ・З・`)っ

I also figured this would be a good way to get back into blogging about cosplay. I think I'll start working on Rorona at the end of February during reading week since I don't have midterm exams.

Also, this isn't my whole makeup collection. This are simply the products which I use for cosplay because they make me look super uguu. ლ(╹◡╹ლ) It might also seem that I caaaake on the makeup. I don't, it only seems like it because I have so many products!

I only use two or three products for daily wear. I have to work a bit harder because my naked face has some discolouration and I'm super acne-prone. The products I use help to create a seemingly flawless canvas for my face, and help my appearance in convention/cosplay photos!

The products I use are to create the look in the above picture. (♡˙︶˙♡)


I take lots of inspiration from gyaru eye makeup and makeup tutorials from magazines like Popteen and random references like the picture below.

The routine + products I use here are ones I use to create my usually "girly/dolly" look for female characters I cosplay.

This isn't exactly a tutorial although I do explain how I use the products! I'll do a tutorial later when I post about my new Vampire Knight Yuki cosplay! :]




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


B R U S H E S


I don't have many brushes... I don't wear much make-up on a daily basis so I always hesitate buying new brushes. I've been thinking about getting a stippling brush and powder brush. Will probably get a few from the ELF website.


I currently have two big puffy brushes, a medium sized brush, a smaller brush, and an eyebrow brush which I can't find at the moment. I really need to wash my brushes again ehehe...

Also have a mini and regular sized eyeshadow sponge thing. (swab?)

B B   C R E A M


I currently own two BB creams, SKIN79's Oriental Gold and Triple Functions.
I reviewed them here. I like them more than foundations for various reasons.

1) They suit my skintones better - I could never find foundations that suited my skin well! My skin colours get paler/white in winter and more yellow in the summer.
2) They have properties which are apparently good for your skin.
3) Varying coverage - first layer starts off a bit sheer but they are easily buildable and have nice coverage. Also looks less cakey than foundation.

When I cosplay, I mix the two colours. I find it makes thicker and nicer coverage, but still not as heavy as foundation.

C O N C E A L E R


I tend to use BB cream under my eyes and just layer it a bit to work as a concealer. I usually wear this concealer on the Sundays of conventions after staying up in the early hours of the morning from Saturday night.ヽ(*゚д゚)ノ It has okay coverage, gets the job done.




P O W D E R S


I use two different powders. First is Kiss Me Heroine Smooth Cover Powder in 01. This powder matches my skintone but has a slight yellow tone. It sets the BB cream very nicely.

I don't really like the yellow tone it casts on my face so I go over it with this Lioele Sun Elastic Powder Pact in Nude Beige. It's more of a white beige. After sweeping it over my face, the white-beige colour tones down the yellow. In photos, my face looks white-beige.


I slightly contour my face with NYC Mosaic Face Powder in Transulent Highlighter Glow. I have a pretty round face so I contour the sides of my face and along my forehead with this light darker beige powder. This helps create the illusion of shadows, making my face look more angular. I dropped my palette though and it shattered so I need to pick up another one.

Finally, I highlight my nose, (lack of) cheekbones, and forehead with Physician's Formula Mineral Glow Pearls. It shimmers a bit and helps those areas catch some light.


B L U S H


I have two different blushes that I use. (Not together though.)



The one I use most often in cosplay is my Majolica Majorca's Puff de Cheek in Apricot Macaroon. I use this one often because I play up my eyes as my most striking feature, therefore I don't want too much colour on my face pulling away from them. The blush is a pinkish apricot color, which offers subtle colour but doesn't show up in photos too well. It works well with my yellowish skintone.


Second is Naris Up Chou Chou Cheek Powder in Strawberry Pink. This blush is suuuuper bright and buildable. You only need to pat it on twice with the puff to get super intense colour. I don't use this blush too often, only when I want my cheeks to stand out.... I usually make Ringo wear it lol. (^皿^) I find it suits her white skin tone better than my yellow skin tone.


E Y E S H A D O W


 I really don't wear much eyeshadow at all. I mainly use a shimmery nude eyeshadow ( which I can't find, I'll update this when I find it) because it matches my eyelid colour and has a nice shimmer.


If/when I apply colour, it's usually brown. I use Lioele Dollish Triple Eyeshadow in Bronze Brown. Sometimes I go over it with my Make Up Forever Copper eyeliner and blend it into the eyeshadow.


E Y E L I N E R S




I currently found this new eyeliner which I love! It's the jey black eyeliner from Maybelline's Lash Stiletto line. This eyeliner has a felt-tip applicator and draws very precise lines. It doesn't smudge either. I know some girls don't apply much / lighter colour eyeliner, but I feel that black eyeliner helps to make your eyes stand out. Especially in photos.

I recently bought Dolly Wink eyeliner in black. I'll see how that works out, so I might combine it with my current eyeliner.

I also use Sana Eye Shadow Liner in black. It's black eyeshadow but has a spongy tip applicator which is great for applying under the eyes.


M A S C A R A

I have two main mascaras I use.


First I apply Rimmel's Lash Flirt as I find it works really well to create length. I really crave dolly length eyelashes because my eyelashes are quite thin and short.

Next I use Maybelline's Falsies mascara. This mascara is great for lower lashes and creating volumes! Really fattens and lengthens lashes.


F A L S E   E Y E L A S H E S




These are a must for cosplay! They really make you eyes stand out and give you a girlier look, if that's what you're going for. I'm not too particular on brands - recently I've been using these Bare Essentials lashes that I got...from the dollar store! These are quite natural designs. I've been meaning to try out some 'dolly' style lashes, like from Dolly Wink, Eyemazing, Diamond Lash...etc. Maybe one day

Finally....


C I R C L E   L E N S E S




These are an absolute must for me when I cosplay! It comes to the point where I feel uncomfortable if I don't have them in lol, I crave alien dolly eyes. (๑ゝڡ◕๑)


Not only do they give me huge animu eyes, they also allow me to change my eye colour to match the character I am cosplaying. 



------------------------------------------------------------

SoooOOoooo, that's it for now! These are the tools and products that I use when I do my cosplay makeup! I really wish I could put this much effort into my everyday look but it's too much work for me because I'm a lazy bum. ┐(´д`)┌ I normally just put on BB cream, powder, the shimmery-sheer eyeshadow and occasionally copper eyeliner.

I'll be sure to do a tutorial on how I do my cosplay makeup later on, with an accompanying video!

I recommend all of these products (except for the concealer, it does an okay job but nothing amazing.)
If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment!

1 comment:

  1. Do you need a specific "shape" of contact for your eye or do contacts fit most eyes?

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ lovely ♡ complex. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign